Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Coconut chiffon cake – something soft and sweet

Soft and sweet, isn’t it something you always want to give your loved ones? I guess everyone (except the people who are allergic to coconut) would be so delighted if received this cotton-soft coconut cake, which has a very nice coconut aroma. Believe me, this cake is awesome. Surprisingly awesome, that I know I’d make it again and again right when I tasted it. I should call it “love at the first bite” :).

I ate a piece with red flesh dragon fruit, just because I had a dragon fruit. Else the cake was so delicious on its own.
The texture of the cake was really smooth and moist. It included coconut milk but it did not turn sour at all though I kept it [in a big air-tight box] at room temperature for two days. Again, I’m not sure if it could be kept longer because my cake was eaten up within two days, but to be on the safe side, any pieces of cake left after two days should be kept in the refrigerator. I believe the cake would still be moist and soft that way.
The texture was so smooth and not dry at all. The light was good, thanks to the Sun :)
This recipe is originally from here . Jo @ Jodelibakery was so kind to send me a quick reply about “coconut powder”, so I knew what to use for the cake.

Ingredients: Makes one 8" round tube

A:
- 5 egg yolks
- 50g castor sugar
- 80g cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 50g coconut powder (ie coconut milk powder)
- 60g vegetable oil (e.g. soy, corn, sunflower) (I used canola oil)
- 70g coconut milk
  
B:
- 5 egg whites
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 50g castor sugar

Method:
1.     Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Set aside.
2.     Combine egg yolks and castor sugar in a mixing bowl. Use a hand whisk to mix until light and creamy.
3.     Add all the remaining ingredients in A, sifted flour mixture, coco nut powder, vegetable oil and coconut milk. Mix until a consistent and smooth mixture is obtained.
4.     In another mixing bowl, using medium speed, whip egg whites and cream of tartar in B (using whisk attachment of mixer) until foamy. Add sugar in B and whip at high speed until soft peaks form. Reduce speed of mixer to medium and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
5.     Fold 1/3 of whipped egg whites into mixture of Step 3. Then, pour this mixture to the remaining egg whites in the other mixing bowl. Fold lightly to combine both mixtures.
6.     Pour batter into a 8 inch round tube pan. Bake at a preheated over at 170 deg C for 40 minutes (I baked for 43 minutes) or until skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
7.     As soon as the cake is removed from oven, quickly invert the pan and let it cool completely.
8.     When the cake is completely cool, run a knife around the sides of the tube pan to remove the cake. Take the cake out of the pan together with the tube portion. Run knife at the bottom of cake to remove cake from the tube portion of the pan.
The tall cake when just cool and inverted. The picture was taken with my phone so it looked pretty weird.
Note: I recommend using a hand mixer to whip egg whites, because with a stand mixer, it’s very easy to overbeat and the egg whites will become dry. I have a Philips stand mixer but I take the motor part out of the “stand”/base and hold it in my hand to beat egg whites. It’s faster too.

2 comments:

  1. i have never tried making coconut chiffon before. But it sounds super rich and delicious with both coconut milk AND coconut milk powder! yumm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your coconut chiffon is very well-risen. Great texture too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete